Wednesday, July 10, 2013

PC or PoC: Dell Laptop

This is a Dell Inspiron with Windows XP Media Center Edition, CD Burner / DVD ROM, 1Gb RAM, 60Gb hard drive, and WiFi-G.


After a hardware check and pulling old cat hair out of the heatsink, I loaded BETA 3 of the Gigastrand OS in one of the simplest and most uneventful load in the history of the Gigastrand OS. Everything works.

Now, I am not sure if I will use the Windows key or not. It is for Windows Media Center and not a standard  home or pro version of XP. It also only has 1Gb of memory and I would prefer 2-3Gb to run Windows in Virtual Box. This may just be a Gigastrand OS laptop.

Upgrade options are really limited. I might get a DVD burner and maybe more memory but I really can't justify it if I won't be loading a Virtual Box on it. I will be tweaking the video drivers and will be testing 3D capabilities. As for a use...still working on it.

MR GB

No comments:

Post a Comment