Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Gigastrand OS: Audio issue solved on Upgrade

When I upgraded the server from a PCCHIPS AMD board to an Intel board, I realized that I was not getting audio from any browser, however, I was getting audio from local music files and in various audio tests. Apparently, this is a more common issue than I suspected. 

There are many reasons for this including dual audio devices (ex. sound card and HDMI) where the secondary sound card is taking up the primary (or #0) spot on the system. As my hardware had not changed quite that much, I knew it was something else.

My issue was resolved by first checking what card or cards were installed. I typed this command:

cat /proc/asound/cards

This listed the audio devices in the system. I then opened the alsa.conf file in /var/lib/alsa. I found that the first line listed the SiS7200 as the audio device. This was incorrect. I changed it to HDA-Intel that was listed in the previous command, saved and rebooted. (It should be noted that I edited the file as root.)

When I rebooted I still had no sound. I adjusted the PCM audio slider in Kmix all the way up and it was working.



Now, some of you might be thinking: "Well, couldn't the PCM slider have been the issue all along?" Under other circumstances it could have been. However, during troubleshooting, I had played with the PCM slider and it did not have any effect on the issue.

MR GB

No comments:

Post a Comment