Thursday, September 20, 2012

Power of Linux: Sorry, I Run Linux

It is no secret that if you are going to sell me something, have me do some sort of remote training session, or whatever, it HAS to be Linux-Compatible. Gigastrand doesn't run Windows and sure as hell won't start just because you have something to sell me.

But that is not the funny part.

My wife (Mrs. Gigabytes) has been getting telemarketing calls galore lately and what brought this particular post to mind was that I just saw in the Argus Leader today that South Dakota is investigating "robo calls". On one call my wife received in particular, Linux helped to save the day.


My wife received a phishing call telling her that there was a problem detected with her PC. The conversation went something like this:

Phisher: "Good morning. I am calling to tell you that we have detected a problem with your PC."
Wife: "Oh?"
Scam the man: "Yes. We need you to go to this website and download a special utility."
Wife: "I'm sorry. I run Linux. What exactly is the problem with my PC?"
Soul-less spawn: "What?! Ooh. Goodbye."

They never called back.  

1 comment: